Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Visceral Response

For my visceral response, I decided to use one of my own paintings that I am fairly pleased with and find exciting to look at.
    I've held on to this piece because I am proud of it and the way it has remained interesting to my own eye. It is asymmetrical. The lines used in the piece creates a lot of movement that pulls the eyes around the piece, which for me, continually bounces back to the center of interest, which is the seahorse.

    The piece demonstrates a strong color contrast between the blue ocean-like background and the orange seahorse. The blue against the orange does not necessarily illustrate different values, and the lines never change, but because of the complementary colors, the shape of the seahorse is defined.

    This piece resonates to me as beautiful through it's excitement and color. I think it is representative of how something can be the similar and different at once, blend in and stand out, as this sea horse blends in with the same lines, values, and patterns as the rest of the piece, but it is unique in it's difference and brightness of color. I think this can be compared to people in society as they exist in the same space and flow as those around them, yet they are still different as they stand out with their own individuality. It's like being "in" the world but not "of" the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment